Sunday, November 7, 2010

Bohemian Rhapsody and Childbirth

Those of you who saw the Season One Finale of Glee should know what I'm referring to, and those who didn't, you can see it here.  In brief, I loved it!  Of course, the portrayal of childbirth was not very accurate, it happened much too fast and included looks of disgust from men.  But, for some reaons I still haven't been able to pinpoint, the mixing of Queen with labor and birth worked brilliantly.  Part of it, I think, is that the song is so many different things at once.  It has some elements of ballad, some elements of hard rock, some piano, some guitar.  Childbirth, too, is cluttered and heterogeneous.  Relatedly, like childbirth, Bohemian Rhapsody has its phases.  Maybe what I really like about it is that it draws some parallel's between childbirth and performing.  The dancers that make up Vocal Adrenaline are fantastic~watching them makes me physically tired.  As does watching labor and birth.  When in labor, a woman is essentially on her own, in her own body.  And though others can provide support or encouragement, it's really all up to her, just as it is for dancers.  I'm going to keep thinking this one through and see if I can come up with some other reasons it works.  But maybe I should just take the phenomenological approach and go with my first reaction: captivation and satisfaction.  It works.

November 7, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment